May 19 - National Pizza Party Day

Hello everybody! Hope your day is going great 😊

There are a few holidays that I based today's menu around, and the first is National Devil's Food Cake Day. In the 18th century, the term 'deviled' was used to refer to dark, rich, or spicy foods. Devil's food cake was so rich it verged on 'sinful', and so the name stuck. I personally love a good dark chocolate cake. If you want to make this really fun, make up an Angel's food cake too and serve them together.

The third friday in May has been designated as National Pizza Party Day. There are a number of holidays revolving around pizza, but I love that Pizza Party Day celebrates the ability to gather around food, and create memories with friends. Today, at least in 2023, Pizza Hut is offering a free personal size pizza when you buy a medium or large one.

The last holiday I'd like to talk about isn't directly related to food - May Ray Day. If you're in the Northern Hemisphere, spring has probably sprung by now. Fun rhyming aside, this day celebrates the return of sunshine, and is a good reminder to get outside.

Without further ado, let's get into the menus!


Breakfast


We're starting off with a breakfast of champions - cake! Use a devil's food cake mix to make these tasty waffles, and you'll have something to look forward to in the morning. It may not be the healthiest way to start the day, but it's no more sugar than donuts, or regular waffles drowned in syrup. Serve the waffles with fresh strawberries or raspberries for some color and fresh flavor 😋

Cake Mix Waffles


Lunch 



For May Ray Day, get out to a nearby park and have a picnic! Even if you have to eat lunch at your desk, you can bring the picnic to you with a cruncy, easy to make chickpea salad sandwich. I suggest serving this with broccoli salad and cold, juicy watermelon to really make it feel like a picnic. Soak up those rays! 

Chickpea Salad Sandwiches 

Broccoli Salad


Dinner


The best pizza party is when everyone can get their favorite pizza, but sometimes you just can't order twenty pizzas. That's why I love making homemade individual pizzas, and letting whoever's eating choose the toppings they want. The dough is the most approachable yeast recipe I know of, and this can be a great way to use up random bits and bobs from your fridge, reducing your food waste and helping that grocery budget! Serve with a garden salad for a more complete meal. If you're feeling indulgent, and I suggest trying it out, make up a devil's food cake as well!

Individual pizzas 

Devil's Food Cake


Food History

On this day in 2018 was the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. For their wedding cake, they used a lemon sponge, drizzled with elderflower cordial, and assembled with elderflower swiss meringue buttercream and lemon curd. It was decorated with peonies, and made by Chef Claire Ptak.



Comments

Popular Posts